CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world.
The world is making progress in tackling poverty. However, persons with disabilities are left behind. One in seven of us has a disability. That is more than one billion people around the world! 80 per cent of whom live in low middle income countries.
Based on our Christian values and more than 100 years of professional expertise, we address poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability. We work in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
The emphasis throughout our work is on local capacity development in poorer regions of the world. This increases service delivery in the fields of healthcare, education, rehabilitation and livelihood development as well as organisational development of partner organisations.
CBM Vision Statement
An inclusive world in which all persons with disabilities enjoy their human rights and achieve their full potential.
CBM Mission Statement
CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest countries of the world.
Based on its Christian values and over 100 years of professional expertise, CBM addresses poverty as a cause, and a consequence, of disability, and works in partnership to create a society for all.
Our Core Values
CBM’s work is founded on the core values inherited from our founder, Pastor Ernst Jakob Christoffel.
Our core values underpin the way in which we behave and go about our purpose. They are clearly expressed through our thinking, behaviour and decision making – together, they establish our working culture.
- Christianity – We aspire to follow the teachings of Jesus.
- Internationalism – We are an international organisation.
- Professionalism – We aim for quality in what we do.
- Integrity – We are good stewards of our resources.
- Communication – We communicate honestly and respectfully.
- Inclusion – We promote and practise inclusion. The physical environment, legislation, communication facilities and our thinking and attitudes all have the potential to exclude and isolate individuals or groups from mainstream society. CBM will endeavour both within the organisation and externally to identify barriers, and implement solutions which lead to a more inclusive society.