Reference Code: PBFA/Fin.Admin/P2/2020/03
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union Commission (AUC) intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts. The African Union Commission invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the position of Finance and Administrative Officer within the Directorate of Programming, Budget, Finance and Accounting (PBFA).
Department: Directorate of Programming, Budget, Finance and Accounting (PBFA)
Duty Station: Various
1. Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance and Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- anage a complete financial and administrative functions of the Office which would include a number of different and diverse operations and inter-related accounts of the financial system;
- Participate in planning and budgeting to ensure allocation of expenditure to the appropriate fund and monitor proper budget utilization to ascertain that budget appropriations are not overspent.
- Process and verify all suppliers’ payments and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate; Coordinate procurement process that would ensure the AU Offices receive quality and efficient services in line with AU rules and procedures.
- Maintain banking, payroll and cash flow systems that is efficient and responsive, as well as preparing monthly bank reconciliations;
- Process monthly payroll and related staff emoluments, ensuring that the AU Offices comply with all applicable human resource, labor, employment equity and payroll laws, policies and procedures;
- Maintain updated personnel data (staff contract, leave management and up-to-date personnel information;
- Implement administrative policies, and procedures that lead to efficient service delivery to the AU Offices ;
- Prepare monthly and annual Financial Reports / Statements for consideration of the AU Headquarters and Donors as well as the certification of general expenditures.
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately
- Perform any other financial related duties as may be assigned by supervisors
2- Qualifications and Work Experience required:
A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management from a recognized University with a minimum of four (4) years of progressively practical experience in accounting, budgeting auditing or related area in a major Government, International or public sector organization. Experience with international organization is an added advantage.
A University Diploma in Accounting, Finance or Business Management from a recognized University with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively practical experience in accounting, budgeting auditing or related area in a major Government, International or public sector organization. Experience with international organization is an added advantage.
Professional certifications such as CPA, ACCA, CIMA, etc. would be an added advantage.
3- Other Relevant Skills
- Strong knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) would be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills, ability to motivate others as well as work in a multicultural environment;
- Good skills in planning and organization
- Excellent Financial and accounting reporting skills;
- Good communication, negotiating and presentation skills;
- Computer literacy and experience in working with computerized accounting systems.. Knowledge of SAP, would be an added advantage.
- Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills;
4- Language Requirement:
Applicants must be proficient in English, French or Arabic. Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
5- Tenure of Appointment:
The Appointment will be made on a regular contract, in the first instance on a fixed-term contract for a period of three (3) years, the first twelve (12) months of which shall be considered probationary period and thereafter for renewable periods every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
6- Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
7- Least Represented Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Comores , Egypt, Comoros, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Libya, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa
The indicative annual salary attached to the position is an indicative basic salary of US$. 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements- e.g. Post adjustment (30 – 40% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($14,414.40 – 41,643.00 per annum for international staff education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum for international staff and $3,300.00 /annum/child for local staff), etc.
The applications must be made through the recruitment website not later than 5th July 2020.
Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
- Salary Offer indicative basic salary of US$. 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements
- Total Years Experience 4