Be responsible for the daily support of Leer Project’s Juba-based staff and for the general support to Medair facilities in Leer. Ensure the project continues to run effectively in terms of supplies, storage and base management. This role oversees Human Resources, Finance and Logistics.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Nutrition Services, Psychosocial Support Services, Hygiene Promotion, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene across static and emergency response locations in Leer County. The goal is to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in Leer.
Key Activity Areas
- Meet the logistics and administrative policy requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors and any other stakeholders, thereby ensuring policy adherence resulting in accountability, efficiency and integrity.
- Manage the maintenance and quality control of any construction or rehabilitation work of the Medair Leer Base / project site facilities.
- Work closely with the Project Coordinators and Project Managers to plan meetings, assist with administrative duties, and general communication with field staff as well preparing relocatable staff with equipment and clearance letters for field travel.
- Participate and contribute to discussions on security and liaise with Project Coordinator on a regular basis to ensure security systems are maintained and in good working order.
- Provide required information to the Juba Finance in conjunction with relevant managers, review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud within finance and logistics.
- Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Manage and oversee the Leer logistics staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, staff development and training, appraisal, through providing focal point link to human resources.
- Hold regular team meetings with the logistics staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable activities and requirements.
- Maintain positive relationships with local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders related to base management, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the project base, including line managing staff, to ensure the effective running of the compound and facilities.
- Manage the Finance Officer and supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines, salary payments are timely and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls and documentation are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Manage the Human Resource Officer, supervising HR and supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping and archiving.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage / warehousing / inventories and transportation.
- Work with Project Managers and Project Coordinator in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs.
- Manage and track expenditure of the project site budget by ensuring spending is in accordance with time frames and adjusts spending if required.
- Work with Field Connect and input Fund Codes per guidelines.
- Be knowledgeable of site security plans and coordinate on security issues with relevant colleagues.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in relevant subject such as Logistics / Management / Business Administration or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- Project Management experience.
- 2 years’ experience working in a cross-cultural setting.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities and suppliers.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good numerical and report writing skills. Attention to detail and problem solving ability.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Team-player with good communication and inter-personal skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Willing to travel regularly to remote project sites.
- Total Years Experience 2